Chaz Roberts Law
Car (1).jpg

Personal Injury & Auto Accident Attorney: Lafayette, LA

Learn what to do when you get in an accident. Then call the attorneys at Chaz Roberts Law in Lafayette, LA.


What should I do if I’ve been involved in a car accident in the Lafayette, LA area? 

If you click here, we have a free guide – what to do if you’ve been involved in a car accident. 

I have been injured in a car accident, what do I do? 

You should see a doctor immediately. If you feel that you’re hurt, your first and foremost concern should be your health. The most important thing is to seek the medical care which may be necessary to protect you against further, long-term health problems. Get the medical care you need and get it promptly!

I was hurt in an accident and cannot afford an attorney.  What can I do?

Relax, you do not have to pay anything up front! Our firm handles personal injury cases on a “contingency fee basis.” That means that we do not charge anything unless we recover an award for you. You can contact our office for a free consultation.

Why do I need an attorney? 

You may not need an attorney, and we will tell you if you do not. If you can handle the matter just as well yourself, we will tell you this during our free consultation.

However, insurance companies did not become billion dollar companies by accident.  They are very methodical with highly trained employees who get paid to pay you as little as possible on a claim.

When you hire a lawyer, you help even the playing field with the insurance company. Chaz Roberts Law has skill and experience dealing with insurance companies and their attorneys.

What is my injury claim worth?

There is no exact formula, and every case is different. Attorneys, juries, judges, and insurance companies will consider several factors to determine the answer to that question.  Some of these factors include the type of injury, the degree of injury (how severe, how painful, etc.), how the injury has impacted your life, the amount of past medical bills, whether the injury healed or has resulted in a permanent injury, whether future medical treatment will be required, the amount of lost wages, the amount of future lost wages, and the effect the injury has had on your relationships, work, and life activities.

Do I have a deadline to bring a claim?

Yes. In Louisiana, you typically must file a lawsuit within one year of the date of the accident in order to preserve your right to recover damages. In Louisiana, this is known as the prescriptive period (what most states call a “Statute of Limitations”).

How Long Will It Take to Be Compensated?

The timeline of every case is different. If there are no liability disputes and the injuries are minor, your case may be settled within a matter of months. If it is necessary to file a lawsuit, the process will take longer, as formal litigation has built-in time delays. In the most complicated cases, it can take a couple of years to complete all of the necessary depositions, written discovery, and court hearings needed to reach a resolution.

Chaz Roberts Law handles car accident cases ranging from minor fender-benders to catastrophic crashes. Regardless of how long your case may last, we will work diligently throughout.

What is the best piece of advice you can give someone right now?  

I tell everyone to call your insurance adjuster immediately and add Uninsured Motorist Coverage (commonly called “UM” coverage) to your automobile insurance policy.  You would be amazed how many people driving either have a minimum insurance policy or no insurance policy on their vehicles.  UM coverage is a great way to protect yourself and family in the event that one of those uninsured persons collides with you or your loved ones.  

What is Comparative Fault?

In Louisiana, we have a comparative fault system.

Basically, it means that a percentage of fault may be attributed to each party involved in an accident. Sometimes fault is clear and only one party is found at fault. In those cases, the person who caused the accident is responsible for 100% of the damages. 

Other times, however, a number of actions by a number of different people have caused or contributed to injury or harm.  In those scenarios, each person at fault is given a percentage of fault (out of 100%).  Each person then must pay their percentage of the other person’s damages.

For instance, if one party was speeding and one party ran a stop sign, there may be a 50-50 allocation of fault. That is, each party would be found 50% responsible for causing the accident. If 50% was allocated to you, then you would be required to pay 50% of the other party’s damages. In that example, if his damages were $10,000.00, then your insurance company would pay $5,000.00. On the other hand, if your damages were $100,000.00, then the other party would be obligated to pay you $50,000.00 (50% of your damages). Each person’s liability is proportioned according to his/her share of fault.



Contact us today for a free consultation!

We have a 24/7 hotline for all of your legal needs.